Crown officials in Cartagena collected the gold, silver, and emeralds that indigenous and enslaved workers extracted from mines in Peru and New Granada and shipped them once a year to Spain. After 1615, Cartagena also became the exclusive slave trading port of Spanish South America. Large slave ships anchored out in the bay. Enslaved workers brought their cargo and passengers to the docks in smaller canoes. Upon arrival, customs officials carefully inspected the vessels. They counted the captives while doctors performed basic medical evaluations. Then the African men, women, and children were taken to barracks or private houses near the docks, where they received limes, oranges, and some meat before they were sold as slaves. Some of them remained in Cartagena, while many others were taken to slave markets in Panama, Peru, and the interior of New Granada.